Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Creepy.

I just can't help myself. I've got to say something.

Michael Jackson has been found "not guilty" of all charges. Okay.

But comparing the verdict to the collapse of the Berlin Wall? Or Nelson Mandela (which seems to be a common comparison)?

Come on, people! I know Letterman's been having a field day with referring to Jackson as "creepy." Heck, who are we to argue with that? The guy's obviously loonier than a run-over dog.

But you know what scares me?

It's not the jury, who I think made the only decision they could make for our system of justice to retain any integrity. It's not the prosecutors, who had little to work with, and an apparent inability to argue anything remotely resembling good law. It's not the defense attorneys, either, who, after all, were only doing their job.

It's those fans.

Those unbelievable, mouth-breathing, died-in-the-wool followers of the Cult of Jackson. The comparisons made on his website are only the tip of the iceberg. These people seem like they'd gladly drink the kool-aid of Michael Jackson's insanity, if only he'd allow them to gaze for a moment upon his image.

It will forever puzzlie me how a celebrity can command such blind devotion from his/her fans. I mean, even the jurors said that they were convinced he'd molested children before, just not this particular kid (which is why I said they made the only decision they could make).

So the question is, what's it going to take to turn these people off? What's Jackson going to have to do in order for these people to realize that he's drawn them into the World of Creep so deeply that they, probably literally, stink from it?


I hope they wake up soon.

Really.